What Is Organic Papaya?
Organic papaya, in simple terms, refers to papaya that has been grown using organic farming methods. In essence, organic farming refers to a system of farming or agriculture that doesn’t employ the use of synthetic fertilizers, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), pesticides, or other synthetic chemicals. Instead, organic farming is all about using natural and organic materials to cultivate crops.
Organic farmers use organic fertilizers such as compost and manure and also employ natural methods to control pests and diseases such as companion planting, crop rotation, and biological pest control. Organic papaya is free from harmful chemicals, has a higher nutritional value compared to traditionally grown papayas, and is healthier and more sustainable.
How do you know if papaya is organic?
Organic Papaya is a naturally delicious tropical fruit grown without the use of synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or genetically modified organisms. This attribute alone makes it a healthier choice of food because it is free from harmful chemicals and pesticides. It is also environmentally friendly due to the natural methods used in its production.
To know if papaya is organic, you should check out the packaging to ensure it has an organic certification label or seal that indicates the papaya has been processed and grown using organic methods and on an organically certified land. Alternatively, you can ask the supplier or seller about the fruit production and certification status.
In Thailand, organic certification labs are regulated by Organic Agriculture Certification Thailand (ACT) and only products that meet its standards are certified as organic. Therefore you should look for organic seals on papaya packaging. However, in other countries, the labels may be different, and as such it’s a good thing to enquire before making a purchasing decision.
What Are The Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Papaya?
If you are yet to eat papaya fruit, you are missing out on a lot as this nutrient-dense fruit has a lot of nutritional benefits to offer. Some of these benefits include:
· The papaya fruit is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, E, and K.
· Papaya is rich in antioxidants such as lycopene and beta-carotene instrumental in reducing the risk of chronic diseases and protecting cells from damage caused by free radicals.
· Papaya is also a great source of dietary fiber which is essential in promoting the feeling of fullness, helps in digestion, and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
· The high concentration of vitamin C in papaya is instrumental in supporting a healthy immune system.
· Eating papaya fruit is also great for supporting healthy and radiant skin. The vitamins A and C found in papaya promote collagen production as well as protect your skin against the sun.
Apart from being a delicious fruit, there is no denying that papaya is a great addition to your diet if the aforementioned nutritional benefits are anything to go by.