What are the health benefits of organic carrots?
Organic carrots, unlike conventional carrots, are carrots that are grown using sustainable farming methods. They are grown using natural farming methods such as crop rotation, the use of compost manure instead of synthetic fertilizers, and natural methods of pest control. The potential health benefits of organic carrots include
· Organic carrots are low in calories and high in fiber and hence highly recommended for individuals that keen on managing their weight and improving their digestion.
· Organic carrots are a great source of important nutrients such as vitamins A, C, and K as well as fibers and antioxidants.
· Organic carrots contain antioxidants which have been found to be quite instrumental in boosting the body’s immune system and protecting it against diseases.
· Organic carrots are rich in vitamin A which is instrumental in promoting a healthy skin.
How do you know if carrots are organic?
First of all, organic carrots are grown without the use of harmful chemicals, pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, or genetically modified organisms. They use manure and other natural fertilizers. Farmers use natural methods to control pests and diseases around the farms such as crop rotation and companion planting.
Another way to know if carrots are organic is that organic carrots have different prices from regular carrots. Organic carrots are generally more expensive than regular carrots.
Lastly, in order to know if carrots are organic, you should look at the packaging to check out for the organic certification label or ask the supplier or seller about the organic status of the carrots because sometimes they are not labeled.
How Should Carrots Be Stored To Maintain Their Freshness?
If you are a lover of carrots, you’ve definitely mulled over how to maintain their freshness for a given period of time. Well, here are a number of ways in which you can store your carrots and maintain their freshness.
· Refrigeration: To maintain the freshness of your carrots, you can store them in your refrigerator at home.
· Avoid washing your carrots until such a time when you are ready to use them. This is because excess moisture on carrots can lead to spoilage.
· Use your carrots within a week. Carrots start to lose their freshness after staying in the refrigerator for over a week. To avoid this, ensure that you use your carrots within a week.
· If you bought your carrots with greens attached to them, please remove those greens before storing them as they tend to draw moisture away from the carrots making them wilt and become less fresh.
Following the above-mentioned tips should ensure that you maintain the freshness of your carrots for longer.