Why Are Organic Egg Plants Better?
Organic eggplants are considered better than traditionally grown eggplants because of a number of reasons.
1. They are grown organically using natural methods devoid of synthetic fertilizers that are not only harmful to the environment but also to the overall health of consumers. Organic eggplants are grown using compost manure and crop rotation that promote soil health and biodiversity.
2. They are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides and herbicides. Pesticides and herbicides are known to leave harmful residues on the surface of the eggplant which can potentially harm your health when consumed.
3. Organic eggplants are better for the environment as they are grown using sustainable farming practices that serve to promote healthy ecosystems, conserve biodiversity, and reduce soil and water pollution.
4. Organic eggplants are deemed to be more nutritious than conventionally grown eggplants though the difference in nutritional content is not that significant.
Can Eggplant Be Eaten Raw Or Does It Need To Be Cooked?
Technically, an eggplant can be eaten raw. However, most people desist from eating raw eggplant because of its tough texture and bitter taste. Another key reason why people prefer not to eat eggplant raw is that it contains a certain compound known as solanine which is known to cause digestive discomfort.
It is encouraged to eat cooked eggplant because cooking plays a vital role in breaking down bitter compounds and inadvertently improving its flavor and texture. Once cooked, an eggplant becomes tender, and creamy, and has a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. Depending on your preferences, there are a number of ways in which you can cook an eggplant. You can grill, bake, roast, or sautee it.
To sum it up, while eggplant can be eaten raw, it is recommended to eat it cooked in order to improve its taste and flavor.
What Chemicals Are In Eggplant?
It’s imperative to note that eggplants contain vitamins, phytochemicals, antioxidants, minerals, as well as several natural occurring chemicals. Some of the key chemicals that are found in eggplant include.
· Solanine: This is a type of alkaloid that is found in eggplants but in small amounts. Generally, large amounts of solanine can be toxic but the levels found in eggplant are small and generally considered safe for consumption.
· Eggplants have very high levels of anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are a type of antioxidant that give eggplants their characteristic purple color and are known to play an important role in improving cardiovascular health, reducing inflammation, and protecting against cancer.
· Eggplants also contain chlorogenic acid which is a type of antioxidant with a variety of health benefits such as improving blood sugar control as well as reducing inflammation.
· Eggplants are also high in fiber. Fiber are instrumental in promoting digestive health.